Skip to main content

Locks of Love



Today is a big day for me!  I have been growing my hair out for the past 2 years in preparation to be able to meet the minimum hair length to donate to a non-profit organization called "Locks of Love".  They have a fantastic website filled with pictures, answers to questions and information regarding donors and questions that might come along with becoming one.  I have some before and after pictures too - wanted to make it fun!  I am able to donate 15 inches!!! How cool...

http://www.locksoflove.org/mission.html

A few years ago, a good friend of mine grew out her hair to donate and I researched the organization and became a supporter.  I see this as something we all do anyway- (grow out our hair) so my hope is to share something new with someone (like my friend did) and inspire you to learn more and do what I did... give.  I read their mission statement and vision on the website and feel this is something that all of us can contribute a small part to help a big cause. 

A few things that I learned that I want to share:
1. It can take up to 6 (yes, 6!!!) donors to get ONE prosthesis made for a recipient. That is a LOT of need and many of us grow out our hair for various reasons so why not give it away (its like recycling!) to a group who needs it and uses it.

2. The hair is used to make a prosthetic hair piece which is VERY different from a wig.  When I read about the difference between a wig vs a prosthesis, I understand why there is so much cost associated with making one.  They retail up to $6k EACH.  The child can go about living a normal life again.  The piece forms a vacuum seal with suction to the head allowing the child to swim, shower, play and live a normal childhood without the fear of having a wig fall off or get pulled off by a classmate.

3. Recipients are underprivileged children (mostly little girls)- they are up to age 21 and many times a recipient will receive more than 1 prosthesis in their lifetime. 

4. Recipients suffer from various diseases causing hair loss- not just cancer patients.  (I never knew that their were autoimmune disorders like this.  I figured they would mainly be cancer patients- which some of them are, but many of them are kiddos who will never have hair grow back after treatment.) So sad.

5. Many salons don't know about Locks for Love- the salon stylist that cut my hair today knew about the organization, but didn't know it was that easy to send your hair.  I gave her a sheet that she can post in her salon for when people come in and want to chop off their hair- which people do!  She said they usually throw the hair away, but if they knew how to properly handle it and send it somewhere- they would. 

I could write a lot more here, but I hope to give you enough to open the door to learning about organizations out there that we can contribute to by doing small acts, but are received in a BIG way.  I have personally committed to being a continuous donor (why not! I loved growing out my hair and then knowing I am helping someone by doing so... score!) and hope you will share this with people in your life that may be cutting their hair soon, that have long hair, that like to give, that work at/own a salon, or like to give. :)

In addition to my hair, Classy Concepts Bridal Boutique is giving a financial donation of $1,500.00 in honor of my dear friends Jenel and Larry Looney.  They are two of the most GIVING and selfless people I know.  I cannot count all the times that they have done unspeakable acts of kindness toward me and my loved ones... they help total strangers... they are just looney! :)  Jenel and Larry are constantly volunteering and because of them... I remember to do the same.  And, well, Larry is bald and has a great sense of humor! So, what can I say! ;)

Many of my customers (90% of them are brides) are growing out their hair for the wedding- so I hope that many of you read this too and know that by the time you get to your 1st year anniversary... you will have 10-12" to donate and please consider it! You will feel as wonderful as I do!  :)  (Love my customers- they are such great blessings in my life!)

Popular posts from this blog

Allegra: Feature Bride | Ava's Bridal Couture

A beautiful Catholic wedding with traditional Mexican flair best describes Allegra and Cesar’s wedding day. They said, “I Do” on May 28, 2016, and will forever cherish the memories made with their family and friends. Allegra had a vision for her wedding day, and it was our job to help her find a gown that would complement every other detail.  THE DRESS  After an unsuccessful bridal appointment at another shop, Allegra found herself at Ava’s. Feeling a bit discouraged, she explained her wants and needs to her consultant. She was looking for an all lace gown, white or off-white in color, a decent train, and some sort of sleeve. Kelly, her consultant, pulled several styles for Allegra, keeping her requests in mind, and throwing in a few other styles to reinforce her original requests. Allegra was pleasantly surprised to have loved a number of these gowns, but still reverted to a gown that almost matched her vision exactly; Allure Bridals’ Style #2800. This gorgeous s

Happy Mother's Day Wifey's!

One of the oh so many things I love about bridal shop happenings... the meaningful relationships. We meet a bride, she buys her wedding dress... the end, right? I sure hope not! Over the past 12 years in business, I have met some of the most amazing men and women who were once customers at some point in time.  They definitely bought more than "just a dress" or "just a service".  We make so many memories together, form a relationship and that relationship is so special!  No two customers are ever alike. You would think after 12 years it would get old.  Would it be the same day after day?  Year after year?  Same old stories, same old song and dance? Thankfully for me, it doesn't! Today's blog, I am thinking of all of our past brides who became a wifey after saying "I Do".  Perhaps the journey as a wife means you want to become a mom. Maybe you have decided you want a family with kiddos...  Maybe you are marrying into a family with children... Maybe y

New Building Under Construction Nearby!

You won't need to drive far from our current location on Debbie Lane to see us at our new building under construction! After 10 years making Debbie Lane our "home" for Say Yes to the Dress moments and memories, we reached a crossroads and made a big decision to merge the two locations while under construction.   How can we keep up with new generations and stay on the cutting edge for our two stores?   Our current lease at 1205 E Debbie Lane ended at the New Year of 2018.  We secured an awesome new property for our bridal business to focus more on customer experience, convenience and online shopping! Many of you have seen Ava's Bridal in Fort Worth grow this past year in our new building on Camp Bowie.  The space on Camp Bowie is nearly 3 times the square footage of our previous space.  This past year in our new building has been a dream come true.  We are so thankful for the response received from past, present and future customers and have grown our onl